Skip to main content

Early Help Offer and Safeguarding

COVID 19 – The majority of services available through the Early Help Offer remain open for phone or online support instead of home visits or face-to-face meetings.

If you require support from a service listed here, please contact the service directly to find out more about what’s available.

If you are struggling as a family during this time and are not sure where to turn in the first instance, try contacting your school, nursery, or Health Visitor and ask to be put in touch with Early Help.

Early help is about providing extra support at an early stage for you and your family to prevent small problems from getting worse. These could be difficulties with parenting to health to education to support for teenagers. 

Many services in Hounslow offer early help including schools, children’s centres, health and education services and more. If you feel comfortable in doing so, speak to a practitioner at one of the services you already know to ask about the support available, for example, your GP, health visitor, children's centre, school or nursery.  Alternatively, you can browse the services within early help and contact the service/s directly.

What happens next and what support might be available?

Once you have made the first step in asking for support, the most appropriate service/s within early help can be identified. Some of the services will need a Child & Family Assessment/Notification Safeguarding Form (CFAN) to be completed before any involvement begins. Other services within Early Help may have their own referral form or procedure.

If you have self-referred to a service in Early Help and are unsure whether you have been accepted, please contact the service directly to enquire. Alternatively, the practitioner who referred you for support will be your point of contact to update you on progress of the referral.

If you have not met the criteria for a service you have approached, please discuss this with the practitioner you are working with (e.g. a member of staff at your child’s school, your GP or your Health Visitor) who will be able to support and or signpost you to other services that may be able to help.

Are you worried about a child in Hounslow?

Safeguarding children is everybody’s responsibility.

If you think that a child or young person is at risk from abuse or neglect, you need to tell someone. If you feel urgent action is needed contact the police on 999.

Alternatively, contact Children's Services on:

  • Tel: 020 8583 6600 option 2 followed by option 3
  • Email:
  • Out of hours: After 5pm weekdays or weekends, call 020 8583 2222 and ask to speak to the duty social worker

It is important to act fast if you suspect abuse as some signs of abuse can disappear quickly. You do not have to give your name and your conversation will be treated confidentially.

If you are uncertain, you might find it helpful to discuss your worries with someone you know who works with children and families. This could be a teacher, school nurse, health visitor or social worker.

More information and useful links

Hounslow Safeguarding Children Board (HSCB)

A multi agency body set up in every local authority to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people. 

Hounslow Local Offer

An online directory of information and services to support children and young people (from 0 to 25 years) who have special educational needs and disabilities. On the Local Offer directory you will find:.

  • clear, comprehensive, information on how to access support
  • specialist services that respond to the young person’s needs by involving them, their parents, and professionals


An online information and advice directory covering council services, voluntary organisations, local providers and support groups for Hounslow residents of all ages. Areas covered are adult social care, housing, money management, employment, education, leisure, health, wellbeing and more.